Spring is on its way, and so is turkey hunting! A lot of hunters around the world are gearing themselves up for this adventurous sport of the season. Along with a perfect camo suit, a hunter face mask is a must while hunting these skittish creatures.
Turkeys are incredibly timid by nature. Hunting down these birds can be a real challenge, and a perfect camouflage can successfully walk you through this. So, for all hunters around the world who are looking for the best turkey hunting face masks, this article can be your real friend.
Importance Of A Face Mask
There is a wide variety of turkey hunting face masks in the market. They are classified based on factors, like the hunting grounds or the purpose of their use. However, the choice amongst these is highly subjective:
- Balaclava: This mask covers the head, face, and neck of the hunter simultaneously. These are widely used in the colder regions to shield the hunter from the extremely chilled conditions. However, balaclava lacks any adjustment near the eye holes.
- Mouth mask: This mask is usually worn by the hunters to cover the area below their eyes, i.e. they cover the mouth and sometimes the neck region of the hunter. Typically, a lot of people match these masks with a hat of their choice to create their camouflage pattern. These masks do not have a firm size; thereby it can be used by an extensive section of hunters. The design is usually breathable and comfortable for the hunters.
- Open top: These masks are more or less like a balaclava, but without a top, i.e. it covers the facial and neck regions of the hunter. These masks render proper warmth and insulation to the user. Hunters may opt for a hat or a rainy-helmet as per their choice.
- Glass masks: These masks are used with compatible sunglasses. They ideally cover the head and face of the hunters. They can be used to hunt down the rainy day gobblers. However, ensure proper ventilation and durability of this mask before you purchase them.
Aspects Of A Perfect Mask
Over the past few years, the increasing popularity of turkey hunting has led to an increased demand for gears and ammunitions to trap down these birds. The market is eventually flooded with a variety of hunting masks giving you an ample choice as a hunter. However, you must consider some of the below factors before you decide to purchase your ideal face mask:
First things first; so let's start with one of the crucial factors that should influence your choice to buy your perfect hunting mask. Hunting down these gobblers can span over an extended period of 8 to 10 hours. A good mask can aid the hunter to survive these long hours of hunting quite comfortably. It should regulate the temperature and provide perfect ventilation for heat and sweat.
Apart from this, the mask should inculcate a proper opening for the eyes and mouth of the hunter, without compromising on his concealment. Such vents ensure a breathable and relaxed experience for the hunter. Some of these masks also feature detachable straps or mesh covering across the eyes and mouth of the hunter. These masks also check sunburns and protect the face from harmful UV rays, while you can confidently sneak out in the woods to hunt those toms down.
Longevity of a hunting face mask is an important aspect that needs your consideration. Always opt for masks that are durable and breathable at the same time. A synthetic mask is an ideal choice for a lot of hunters as it tends to be sturdy and minimally light on their pockets.
Before you purchase your mask, make sure to check the stretch ability of the material. In case you notice any loose stitching or imperfect finishing, abort the mask. Such masks will fail to endure the tough and rigorous effects of turkey hunting. Fleece or synthetic masks with a blend of spandex can ensure its stretch ability. This feature is essential, as it permits the hunter to possess free head movements. It is recommended to focus on the quality of the mask even if it is a little expensive so that it can last longer.
3. Agile use
Always opt for hunting face mask that is easy to use. Such masks reduce the reaction time of the hunter once they have an unfortunate encounter with their prey. A lot of varieties are available for the instant use of the hunters, such as a mask that looks like a simple hat and can easily be moulded into a mask when required.
Hunt mask must feature a proper opening for sunglasses. Hunters less prefer masks with small eye holes as they tend to restrict the use of glasses and can even block the hunter's vision. There are varieties of masks such as tucked-up mesh covering hats or dual-purpose headpieces that can be used as a hat or as a mask.
Apart from these significant factors, several other features like the length of the mask, leafy aesthetics or camouflage colour pattern govern the choice of a perfect hunt mask.
Types Of Camo Patterns For Turkey Hunting
- Mimicry: This pattern usually refers to a resemblance of the mask with its surroundings. The mask should match to the suit of the hunter too. Ideally, the choice of the pattern depends on its season of use. For instance, a green pattern is ideally used on the onset of the season, and a brown dried leave colour marks the offset. Overall, the pattern should match with the surrounding and the suit of the hunter to provide a perfect camouflage.
- 3D: Hunting face masks with the 3D leafy pattern are extremely popular. This is credited to the smooth blending of these patterns with the surrounding. Moreover, even if the birds encounter any rustle, they might confuse it with a tree or bush movement. These masks render a natural and leafy texture to the hunter's look. Such masks usually rank a position in the turkey hunting checklist.
- Breakup: Here in the hunter endeavors to break up the outline. Often, such patterns allow the hunter to blend with logs or trees while they pace forward from one location to the other.
Turkey hunting masks have a wide range of aspects and varieties to it. The choice of these mask depends on the hunter, and various factors like the season of the hunt, the hunting ground, weather or even the hunting suit. In regards to all these, a hunter must choose his/her hunting face mask.
Top 5 Hunting Face Masks
The choice of a perfect hunt mask can sound quite overwhelming to you. However, you can keep your worries at bay and check out this exclusive list of the top five hunting face masks that can enhance your overall experience of turkey hunting this season. Let's get started on what you should wear while turkey hunting:
These are some of the best hunting face masks that are available in the market and can serve as an excellent camouflage gear for hunters. However, your choice is highly subjective and depends on the fit and comfort it provides you. One of the turkey hunting tips for beginners would be to pay close attention to the quality of these masks, as this can miraculously enhance their chances of shooting down a gobbler.
Benefits Of Using A Hunting Face Mask
People ideally opt for camo face paint or the use of a face mask for turkey hunting. However, the benefits of a hunt face mask out rules the usage of face paint for several reasons:
- Unlike face paint, a hunting face mask is not affected by rains or moisture. Turkey hunting can usually last for hours; therefore the sweat and moisture can smudge of the face paints easily. However, a face mask remains unaffected in such conditions. Instead, they absorb the unwanted moisture from the hunter's face and prevent any form of fogging, thereby making the experience highly relaxing and comfortable.
- Face masks not only serve as a camouflage gear but also protects the hunter from harmful radiations and bugs. The 360 shade provided by a wide variety of such hats, prevents the occurrence of sunburn or skin irritation. Apart from these, the mask can also serve as a mosquito net to keep these unwanted bugs away.
- Face masks are remarkably easy to use. Hunters can sweep it down their head, and it's ready, unlike face paints wherein the hunter has to invest a lot of time painting their faces with a versatile pattern.
- The advanced design of the face masks, such as 3D- leaf effects, makes them neat and natural. Such design enhances the hunting experience of the user as they provide excellent concealing powers to the shooter.
The onset of the spring season is undoubtedly the best time to hunt turkeys. Thus, this article is focused to let the hunters choose the best turkey hunting face mask of the season. The choice of these masks depends on your comfort and the demands of the hunting ground. However, my personal favorite is the QuikCamo Realtree 3D Leafy Bucket Hat combination. Mainly this multipurpose product offers a fair camouflage, owing to its intricate pattern and 3D leaf effect at such a reasonable price. Its duo feature as a hat and a mask is extremely useful for any agile hunter. Till then, Happy Hunting!